Sunday, September 16, 2012

Birthday Gifts


Friday evening my friend Lisa was visiting, and we decided to take advantage of the beautiful evening by walking along the marina looking at the boats.  As we strolled, enjoying the light of the setting sun turning the water to gold, we came to a neat and trim sailboat where a large, fluffy cat stretched, surveying his kingdom with sky-blue eyes.  We stopped to talk to the owners of the beautiful cat, who were relaxing on their boat with cocktails in hand.  They were a very friendly couple who told us they live in Florida, but had spent the last five months traveling on their sailboat with Clyde, the cat.  The man explained that his wife, an attractive and fit 60 year old woman, had had a stroke, and that after that, they both had a different perspective on life.  They decided to take some time off to enjoy life and do things they wanted to do.  Thankfully the woman was doing very well, and it was clear that she had a positive attitude.  I shared that I was completing treatment for breast cancer, and we agreed that being confronted with a serious health issue changes the way you see things.  Life is too short not to savor each moment. 

Friday happened to be my 46th birthday, and as I stood talking to this couple, I was reminded again how precious life is and how important it is not to take it for granted.  Too often we race through the days, thinking about the next thing on our to-do list, worried and stressed about things that, in the grand scheme of things, really shouldn’t rate so much of our time.  We fail to stop and appreciate the gifts in our lives. 

As I enter my 47th year, I have a renewed appreciation for the gift of life and the people who make it special.  My hope is that I can live each day with thankfulness that doesn’t fade, but deepens with each passing year.

No comments:

Post a Comment